Our agency’s philosophy is reflective of our mission statement, “Head Start enables children and their families to realize the opportunities for developing their full potential.”
The overall goal of the Head Start program is to bring about a greater degree of social competence in children of low-Income families. Social competence is a child’s everyday effectiveness in dealing with present environment and later responsibilities in school and life. We strive to address our children's needs in all areas of development- physical, social, emotional, and cognitive-and to provide support and assistance to all those who affect the child's development. We honor issues of cultural relevance, diversity and inclusion, through our validation of the individual strengths of the enrolled children and their families.
NWAHSHS firmly believes that the lives of young children and their families can be enriched and strengthened by the quality of the educational program provided to them. The quality of the program depends on several factors:
- Providing a safe and nurturing environment.
- Providing a developmentally appropriate curriculum that addresses all areas of development-social, emotional, cognitive and physical.
- Providing learning experiences within the context of children’s culture and community; and
- Working in partnership with parents to plan, implement and evaluate the educational experiences provided for children and families.
Scheduled Educational Interactions with Families:
- Volunteering in the classroom
- Attending agency trainings
- Attending monthly parent meetings
- Parent questionnaire
- Two home visits Fall/Spring
- Parent conferences Fall/Spring
- Transitioning of children from NWAHSHS to the public school system